Monday, January 19, 2009

meal item monday

My fear has come to fruition. I am becoming a recipe blog. Yikes! No offense to anyone who HAS a recipe blog, but that was just never my intentions with MY blog. Yes, two post in a row now are titled "Meal Item Monday". This must stop. Hold me accountable, people.

As if THAT was not enough. I did NOT try a new recipe this week. GASP. But, hopefully y'all will forgive me and we can try one together. The following recipe is one I intended to try this past week and specifically chose it bc I felt like I already had all of the ingredients on hand and I STILL did not try it. I honestly, completely forgot. Well, hopefully you have the ingredients and will be able to try it on a whim.

Pasta Cartwheels with Cheese and Broccoli

prep time: 10 minutes

cooking: 35 minutes
nutrients: calcium, protein, B vitamins (folate, vitamin A, zinc)

1/4 lb. pasta cartwheels (will definitely use a cartwheel alternative so I don't have to specifically go out and buy also, will definitely use wheat pasta..bc that is all we had and well, I love it)
1 1/4 cups broccoli (cut into small florets)
1/2 cup frozen sweet corn

Cheese Sauce
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
1 1/4 c milk
pinch of nutmeg

1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
salt and freshly ground black pepper

Topping
2 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 1/2 tbsp fresh bread crumbs

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
  • Cook pasta according to packaged directions, drain and set aside.
  • Meanwhile, place broccoli and sweet corn in steamer and cook for 4-5 mins or until tender. Cover to keep warm and set aside
  • Sauce: Melt butter in small pan. Add flour to make paste and stir over low heat for 1 min. Gradually whisk in milk, bring slowly to boil, and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, add nutmeg, stir in cheddar cheese until melted and season.
  • Stir veges into sauce, then mix with pasta. Pour mixture into greased dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs. Bake in preheated oven for about 15 mins.

Yum Factor: sounds yummy
Ease of Recipe: seems easy

Let me know if you try it and I will be sure to let you know too.

And because a post is always better with a picture...Here is one I snagged of Ada passed out in the carseat last weekend. She was REALLY passed out. I can not believe she did not wake up when I a.)stopped the car b.) opened my door c.) opened the trunk door d.)started taking pictures.

4 comments:

Summer said...

What a sleeping beauty!

Amy said...

Brittany... though I do love trying your recipes, PLEASE don't let your only posts be Meal Item Mondays! I want to see and read about your beautiful daughter! I can't let you neglect your faithful readers of that! :o)

Jimmy said...

This was good, but it is of my opinion that "ease of recipe" should be bumped up a couple of notches due to the obscene number of pans used in the process...

ariel said...

sounds delicious! cheese.. pasta.. how can you go wrong?! esp if you throw in some veggies.. YUM!

and your sleeping beauty is absolutely adorable!